Thursday, July 8, 2010

Waiting...

I hated it when she was late. There I was; waiting… waiting… Preparing the lecture I was going to give her when she deigned to show up helped pass the time. It was not fair to be so late; we had plans and a time honored schedule of traditions! Not a minute would be wasted. Yet here I was alternating between the following:

Anger – She should stick to the schedule. It was too late for someone else to fill in! If you were expected on a certain date, you should be there – or at least send the excuses – preferably with a very large bribe attached to it like tickets to Brazil.
Worry – The lateness of her arrival might have some greater cosmic meaning such as the world is off kilter and headed for a disaster beyond our imagination (not just a fallen chandelier, but a crashing of all the stars in our galaxy).
Guilt – It’s my fault that she is late. If only I drove less and rode my bike more, she would feel more comfortable and punctual.
Depression – Was she going to cancel and not come at all? This thought kept me on my couch under a blanket and cuddled up to a hot water bottle for days.

I had resigned myself to life without her when I was woken by dance steps across my face. Even after such a prolonged absence, I knew immediately that it was her tickling my face. Once again I was charmed and in love- all the words of censor, the doubt, and the impatience were gone. I threw open the windows to let her come streaming in. Summer was here and even more beautiful than I remembered her!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment