Friday, July 20, 2012

One Dessert - Two Forks

My raspberry crop had a short season, mostly due to lack of experience.  My previous gardening adventures included taking care of the cactus, Mr. Scaggles.  He was thriving and began whispering ideas into my head of how I may have the elusive green thumb.  I was contemplating a companion plant for him when tragedy struck.  It was never clear if he jumped or was pushed out of the eighth story window, but the resulting splat on the sidewalk was final.  It was many years before I had the heart to welcome another plant.  The raspberry bush seemed equally inexperienced in gardening.  She sat in the greenhouse with an air of mystique which intrigued me enough to take her home.

Every morning I loved going out to see Miss Tery – a fitting name as she was labeled the "unknown berry" in the nursery.  One day she greeted me with the makings of a green fruit which looked remarkable like an unripe raspberry.  The berry ripened and I held off picking it for many days just so I could see Miss Tery waving this small red flag in our backyard.

The cravings for a raspberry dessert finally compelled me to pick the crop from Miss Tery.  She supplied enough for only one dessert which I graciously shared with Phin.  There was no recipe;  I just call it Raspberry Surprize and it was tasty!!!!


Sadly, after this initial crop, the thermometer blew its top and with the heat exhaustion Miss Tery was no longer up to producing berries.  I can’t say that I blame her, although next year I’m hoping if I’m more generous with the water we will have enough berries (as in plural) for two desserts.

4 comments:

  1. The good news (that is, if you don't mind waiting), it takes a couple of years for a raspbery plant to produce. Take it as a sign of affection you got this much out of Miss Tery this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know - I guess I will be relying on the Farmer's Market for a few more years.

      Delete
  2. What is holding Miss Tery up? It looks tasty. If only you were here - I would gladly share our crop of r-berries with you and Phin! Sadly, they will be gone by the time you get here, but I can offer you some frozen ones! And yes Rachel, watering plants is often a good idea!! Can't wait to see you.....Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such self-control! The first berry from my crop never makes it into a dessert, or even the house!
    Raspberries produce on the year-old canes, so hopefully next year!

    ReplyDelete