Monday, December 16, 2013

Pre-Holiday Rant

I am not immune to the aggravations of air travel, although most days I can be amused by fellow passengers and general airport absurdness.  There is also the excitement of going places that usually keeps my spirits up.  A few days ago I was flying on an unfamiliar airline with a boarding pass that assigned me to "Group 2".  Though mathematically "Group 2" should be near the front of the line, I suspected by the time I found my seat there would be no room for my carry-on bag.  It was an inconvenience but not the end of the world, and I was not ready to pay an additional fee to upgrade to "Group 1" (just to avoid the hassles of baggage claim).     

On a whim I re-printed my boarding pass at the airport and was re-assigned to “Priority Access”.  Yay!!!  Neither my bag nor I would not suffer from separation anxiety – and I joined the end of the security line with a sense of calm.  At the gate, the pre-boarding announcement was my clue to gather my stuff together.  The boarding process began and the categories were announced in the following order - one at a time…
  •         First Class
  •         Those Needing Extra Time
  •         Those with Small Children
  •         Those in the Military
  •         Business Class
  •          Elite Partners
  •         Executive Members
  •         Diamond Alliance
  •         Platinum Members
  •         Sapphire Alliance
  •         Gold Members
  •         Priority Access

 By this time they had run out of overhead bin room and were checking all carry-on bags.  I reluctantly took my place in the non-linear mob.  I can only assume “Group 1” was after “Priority Access”, but am seriously wondering who would pay extra for this dubious spot in line.  I would not be surprised if those in “Group 3” had to join their carry-on luggage in the baggage compartment.  Hopefully numbers have actual meaning in the cockpits.  (I may have discovered a reason for the November Navigation Troubles:)
Happily Travelling!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment