Sunday, November 8, 2009

Tales from the Coffee Shop

(An excerpt)

She kept forgetting that sitting side by side with fellow customers at the coffee bar did not make them her friends. They had their own thoughts and conversations, and she had to stop herself multiple times from joining in. The guy on her left was setting up a date using his cell phone. It seemed to be going very well, if that nervous leg tapping was any indication. As specifics were discussed, the whole table began shaking as if everything about the guy was excited. She looked at his animated face and thought that any girl would be a fool to turn him down.

Apparently, the girl on the other end was no such fool. He ended the call with a huge grin on his face. “Congratulations,” said her voice before she could stop it.

He looked a little surprised and then embarrassed. His huge grin turned a bit sheepish, “Sorry, was I that loud? I’m just a little excited.”

“No worries,” she answered back, relieved that in his excitement he did not perceive the creepiness of her accidental cross-over from eavesdropping to conversing. “I would give you a high five, but I don’t know you that well.”

"Yeah, I'm more of a fist bump type of guy myself," he laughed and extended his fist in a friendly punch. And that was her first introduction to Joel.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yay!!!! I love it--please write more on here! (*fist bump*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look "fist bump" up on google to see what it was called - and apparently it is no longer the "in-handshake" that it once was - which is probably good since I never really mastered it myself:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...yes, I am having a hard time picturing you fist bumping someone. Is a fist bump the same as knucks? I think the only person I've fist-bumped is my 2 year old nephew. I guess someone should tell him it's not cool anymore : | Kidding, it's super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I just fist-bumped a new acquaintance (a guy, of course) yesterday! It was fun!

    ReplyDelete