Sunday, January 31, 2010

Catching Some ZZZZ's

The alphabet and I had become good friends and we would play all sorts of games together. It delighted in tricking me with tangling puzzles. The relationships between the letters fascinated me. Some of them got along so well with each other and were constant companions in almost every game, while others were shy and seldom seen. Hours were spent trying to tease “q” to go out without his best friend, “u”. It was only when I was much older that I finally succeeded in this endeavor with the promised treat of a Qatari camel race. There were hopes that I might become a great speller until January 25th of my first grade year.

The snow was falling softly outside and my seat was near the window. I was trying my best to ignore the fluffy white man as he floated down from the sky unassembled. He was begging me to bring out his carrot nose and put him together. Suddenly, my attention was captured by the most intriguing character I had ever seen, the letter “z”! It was love at first sight. From then on my spelling was shot as I attempted to place “z” in every word that I thought fitting. I was dazzled by this zany zipper az it zigged and zagged acrozz my pagez, compozing words that were sure to sizzle. I thought it especially fitting to provide the unexpected treat of “z” in a word that meant just that - surprize! Since there were no spelling bee contests in my immediate future, I turned to a more useful application for my letter friends - codes and ciphers.

P.S. This is an excerpt from hopefully a much larger story about a girl named Telsah. I recently rescued it off of my old computer and thought it would be fun to share. You can see I plagarized one of the sentences from this story and used it to create a whole different tale in "Happy Birthday". No need to call the literary cops, however, as I think it is a legal to copy from one's self. Besides, those literary cops will be be much too busy policing my sentences from unwanted "z's" and my newfound love of the ";". Where does one use a ";"? I don't know, but it does look good in a sentence!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment